How to Import / Export Tracks for Collaboration in Studio One
Any audio worker who has ever wanted to share his musical ideas with others can probably tell the tale: It can get pretty damn time-consuming! Although one frequently hears about so-called standards for the exchange of audio projects, the current situation is still sobering.
Many producers and musicians have realized that due to this lack of standards it is best to keep their hands off it and prefer to go for methods that are a bit more elaborate, but work almost anytime: Raw Track Import / Export.
In the following sections you learn how to easily import and export your raw project tracks or stems depending on your DAW.
What to Consider
Call it Bouncing, call it Audio Mixdown or Render in Place. The principle is always the same: For a defined range a stereo audio file including one or more tracks is created. This can often be done in many ways, for example, by incorporating all track's effects and volume data.
But this example is not what we want to achieve here. For others to work on our tracks, we want our material to be raw - that is, without any effects or track settings, like volume or panning. We want files that can easily be re-imported into any other music sequencer software to be processed with completely other effects maybe.
Of course, every DAW has its own process of importing and exporting tracks this way. Find your software in the list below and follow the corresponding link to learn about how to share your project for collaboration.
How to Export Tracks in Studio One
- In your project, first convert all virtual instruments you want to export to audio tracks. This can be done by selecting the tracks and select Transform to Audio Track from the context menu.
- Open all folders containing tracks you want to import.
- Press Alt - Z to get an overview of all your tracks.
- In Arranger Window draw a selection containing all your tracks. This selection will define your export range.
- Create a new export folder in the Files section.
- Drag the selection into the new folder.
How to Import Tracks to Studio One
- Set up a new project.
- Go to the Browser Section and press Files
- Select all files you want to import.
- Drag the selected files into the Arranger window.